According to a recent press release: "Kobra and the Lotus are set to release their new album and Napalm Records debut Prevail I this Friday. Prevail I is a rock juggernaut full of blistering guitars, pounding rhythms and haunting vocal melodies that take the listener on a sonic journey leading them out from the darkness and into the light!" We get Kobra Paige herself to answer our 10 Quick Ones about new music, her influences, and more...
1. Tell us a little about your latest release. What might a fan or listener not grab the first or second time they listen through? Are there any hidden nuggets the band put in the material or that only diehard fans might find?
This is without a doubt our most thoughtful music yet. It will take multiple listens for people to strip through the layers and notice/find all the details. I believe the diehard supporters are the people who will grow attached to the weird sounds or guitar nuances in the background. They will find the sounds and will expect to hear them live and begin to feel like it’s a part of their favourite things within the music. Even a sonar bass drop at the beginning of a verse can become something to attach to when caring for the music!! I know this because I do it myself with favourite artists!!
2. What got you into music, and can you tell us about the moment you realized you wanted to be a musician?
My father got me into music. He’s a beautifully gifted pianist and I grew up falling asleep to classic composition lofting threw the air at night. My parents used to put Vivaldi on a discman and put the headphones on my mother’s stomach when she was pregnant with me as well. I don’t know if it’s strange luck or there is some bizarre science around this but the Vivaldi ended up being my first musical love as a young child…I even have some of The Four Seasons tattooed on my body. Eerie! I didn’t know I wanted to be a rock musician until my dad took me to see Judas Priest. It was game over the anything else from that moment on. I was 15.
3. Who would be your main five musical influences?
Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Vivaldi, and the fifth is open to a million possibilities from Beyonce to Ville Valo to Matt Barlow to Jeff Loomis to Marty Friedman to Sebastien Bach to Devin Townsend to Type O Negative!!! Can of open worms! Especially as I grow older :O.
4. If you could call in any one collaborator to do a song with, who would it be?
Honestly….Eminem. Please Eminem!!!!
5. How would you describe your music to someone who’d never listened to you before?
Melodic, heavy, vibrant, metal, and hard rock with kick ass guitars!!
6. What’s the best thing about being a musician?
Connecting to other people and also connecting the world through a global language. Exposing how relatable we truly are and also reminding people that there still is goodness in the world and they all have it.
7. When the band are all hanging out together, who cooks; who gets the drinks in; and who is first to crack out the acoustic guitars for a singalong?
We all cook! I’d say Marcus gets the drinks in but then again so does Brad and it’s game on! Jasio will always be strumming or playing something nice if a guitar is in his hands =-).
8. If you weren’t a musician, what would be your dream job?
I would be an integrative pediatrician and also work with Lyme patients specifically!!
9. Looking back over your career, is there a single moment or situation you feel was a misstep or you would like to have a “do over”?
No, not at all. We wouldn’t be in this specific moment in time if we did anything differently. Unfortunately, there are very tough lessons that come in life but that is for anything. Driving a band has been very challenging but I’m getting smarter with working within the industry and can’t regret any of the scrapes or bruises.
10. I you could magically go back in time and be a part of the recording sessions for any one record in history, which would you choose – and what does that record mean to you?
Oh man I would be a part of Led Zeppelin... the ambiance was unbelievably magical.
KOBRA AND THE LOTUS LINKS: