1. Tell us a little about your latest release. What might a fan or listener not grab the first or second time they listen through? Are there any hidden nuggets the band put in the material or that only diehard fans might find?
Nuggets?? The record label did the barcodes wrong at the first editions. Ah and the song titles inside the booklet are not in the right order… and, no I should shut up now, otherwise nobody will buy this album again mate…
2. What got you into music, and can you tell us about the moment you realized you wanted to be a musician?
Had a car accident many many years ago, before it, I wanted to make it as tennis player, but to be honest, the talent was more like "he always tries." After that accident I was not able to play tennis anymore and learned guitar by myself with songbooks of bands I adore. It costs me month of every day practice till I was able to play that shit and I think this was the day I realized it…
3. Building on that, is there a specific song, album, performer, or live show that guided your musical taste?
I was in a club in my hometown where they play metal, ahh the good old times, this club is closed since many years. There was this long haired rocker and he wears a shirt of Paradise Lost of Shades of God album. Never heard of this band, but I liked the design and was looking for that album, what can I say, this was the start.
4. Who would be your main five musical influences?
Twenty years ago my three favorite bands were Paradise Lost, Anathema and My Dying Bride! Today my three favorite bands are Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and Anathema. So I did not change that much, except that I mess up the order with increasing age, laughs. Ah, I forgot to mention Primordial and Dark Tranquility.
5. If you could call in any one collaborator to do a song with, who would it be, and why?
Puh, ähm my dream came true as our publisher drops me a line to Ricky Warwick to write a song together. The result called “Head Held High” is still one of my favorites and he still my Idol, no he is much more. But, that’s not the question, but I really adore the collaboration, he is such a nice guy, so, I would do it again, so Ricky, just drop me a line bro.
6. How would you describe your music to someone who’d never listened to you before? What is the one comparison a reviewer or fan has made that made you cringe or you disagreed with?
Take Type o Negative, a piece of Dark Tranquility, HIM and My Dying Bride and the sister of Paradise Lost is gardener and Primordial are sitting above the tree. Think in this description you’ve got the root of the lacrimas tree. Some season it grows more into goth, next time more dark, it depends.
Living this adventure and to see so many different cities. Hey, if someone told me 25 years ago that I will fly to Beijing, Shang Hai, Tokyo, Seoul, Moscow, Dubai, Helsinki… ah there are so many, I would say, are you out of your mind?
8. When the band are all hanging out together, who cooks; who gets the drinks in; and who is first to crack out the acoustic guitars for a singalong?
Man I hate it, I hate these guys with acoustic guitars everywhere they are and play bad covers of bad bands. Cook? Julian is not bad as cook, Dominik also, I wash the dishes… everything´s fine, if there is NO acoustic guitar guy in my room.
9. When was the last time you were star struck and who was it?
Yesterday after our show in Munich.
10. If you weren’t a musician, what would be your dream job?
Painting pictures, or playing tennis, but both I've tried and failed…
11. Looking back over your career, is there a single moment or situation you feel was a misstep or you would like to have a “do over”, even if it didn’t change your current situation?
Hahaha, every fuckin single year I did a misstep or even more. But I always stand up and we’re still around, so...
12. If you could magically go back in time and be a part of the recording sessions for any one record in history, which would you choose – and what does that record mean to you?
Silent Enigma of Anathema. The whole atmosphere of this album is breathtaking. Probably the album if listened the most and Diana Read Peace of Germans Dark Millennium.
LACRIMAS PROFUNDERE LINKS: